Welcome!

Welcome to the blog for TurningPoint Youth Ministries, Parma Christian Fellowship Church's Youth Group. Here you will find out what we've been up to recently, lessons, pictures from events, and posts from our teens.

3.30.2012

HfH: Bedtime Devotion

During the Hunger for Hilton 30 Hour Famine, we will be having devotions at meals and bed time.

Paula and Josh did the bedtime devotions just before lights out, from Genesis 28:20-21.

 20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the LORD will be my God.

A brief background of the story:
Jacob tricked his father, Isaac, into getting a blessing meant for his brother, Esau. Jacob was very scared, so he left. Jacob was on his way to Laban, a relative, to marry his daughter, when he stopped for the night in the desert. Jacob had a dream with a stairway between heaven and earth. God tells Jacob:
“I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” (Genesis 28:13-15)
Jacob decides to listen to God, and he makes his vow to God in Genesis 28:20-21.

Things happen to us that may not be good, or be things that we like. Things happen so others can see the glory of God in us. We need to trust that God will get us through it, even if it seems like it will take a long time, as in Jacob's situation. God's promise was not going to happen overnight. It took a long time for Jacob to get his descendants and to build a land. It is not an easy decision to trust God, but it's worth it.

Where do you find it difficult to trust God?

No comments:

Post a Comment